Do these words mean anything to you?

           I have wanted to write about this for days, but even writing these words seems like a waste of time. I am sick to my stomach when I go to bed at night in my private, comfortable, heated, clean room. When I wake up, eat a full breakfast, enjoy a hot shower, go to work for a good wage, drive a car, pay my bills, and return back home as if nothing happened.

           Meanwhile children are dying by the minute in the Syrian crisis, from disease, starvation, and murder. 

      "In Syria, 323,000 children under five live in areas under siege or otherwise inaccessible to humanitarian aid and another one million persons live in hard-to-reach areas, where access is possible but intermittent and irregular. Throughout the region, children living in host communities are relatively more difficult to reach with basic services and supplies than those in camps, with unregistered child refugees particularly difficult to identify." -UNICEF 2014

Huffington Post 2014

     Do those words and statistics mean anything to me? To you?




         I can sit here and post photographs which the news has already plastered on our TV screens and flooded our e-mails with. I can copy these statistics and quotes about how horrible and literally gut-wrenching this conflict is. But why?

         When the first news came out I went first to World Vision and donated to their efforts, knowing 85% of my funds would be used at the hands and feet of those caring for the Syrians. Earlier in March I signed the change.org petition to end the lost generation. And as time goes by I wonder what to do. Do I just give more money? Do I just keep praying? Is praying enough?

        I don`t have answers. I don`t have solutions. But I know today that all I can do is sit on my knees before my Father and beg him to end this crisis and to save these children. Honestly if these children must die, then they may die, but may they first hear and know the Gospel and the love the Father has for them.

And whoever receives one such little child in my name receives me. -Deuteronomy 30:9
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows,  is God in his holy dwelling.  God sets the lonely in families... -Psalm 68:5-6
My eyes fail from weeping, I am in torment within, my heart is poured out on the ground because my people are destroyed, because children and infants faint in the streets of the city. -Lam 2:11
Though he brings grief, he will show compassion,  so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men. -Lam 3:32-33

     This last verse in Lamentations are the words I am clinging to. I don`t understand this and I don`t know why God seems so far away in it all. Please share the needs of those in Syria with others. Please give... I know even if you are a student and work-full time that money you have to buy a pizza or that new shirt, give it to these children who have nothing. And most importantly, pray. Pray for these lives. Pray for the Gospel to be LOUD as Christians minister to these hurting people and as these people search for answers and healing.

         

Comments

Popular Posts