Rest



What is in my song?

           I obviously don`t know that much about music, so yes, all of you musically skilled individuals can skip this blog. I don`t know much about notes, I cannot read them... or tell what they mean in any way, shape, or form. But I love music. I love its sound. I love it`s motivation to get me up and dance. I love its power to still my soul. I love its ability to calm my mood or hype me up. I especially love that it was created by my Father and for His glory...




        So what is in a song? Songs are filled with deeper meaning than most anyone really knows who listens to them, just for the sound, right? No, words speak to the uttermost parts of our soul and being and they either speak life or they speak death. And as I pray to choose life, I pray I will discern wise musical choices not only for my ears, but with my life.

The Lord is my strength and my song
he has become my salvation. 
Psalm 118:14

        My Father is my song. And so his musical notes fill my life and flow out from my mouth into the ears of others. His musical notes range from tears of sorrow to shouts of joy. They range from prayers of confidence to whispers of plee. And in between it all, if you search deep enough, you will find the rests.  

        My Father knows me so well He knows exactly what musical note to play in order to sing my melody for Him... and that doesn`t leave out the rests. 

          There is no music in a rest, but there is the making of music in it.” In our whole life-melody the music is broken off here and there by “rests,” and we foolishly think we have come to the end of the tune. God sends a time of forced leisure, sickness, disappointed plans, frustrated efforts, and makes a sudden pause in the choral hymn of our lives; and we lament that our voices must be silent, and our part missing in the music which ever goes up to the ear of the Creator. How does the musician read the “rest”? See him beat the time with unvarying count, and catch up the next note true and steady, as if no breaking place had come between.
Not without design does God write the music of our lives. Be it ours to learn the tune, and not be dismayed at the “rests.” They are not to be slurred over, not to be omitted, not to destroy the melody, not to change the keynote. If we look up, God Himself will beat the time for us. With the eye on Him, we shall strike the next note full and clear. If we sadly say to ourselves, “There is no music in a ’rest,’” let us not forget “there is the making of music in it.” The making of music is often a slow and painful process in this life. How patiently God works to teach us! How long He waits for us to learn the lesson! —Ruskin
           My voice is not silent! MY voice rests in the presence and the power of my Daddy... who is with me, who plays every note perfectly, without a flaw.


Comments

Popular Posts