Week 1: Without a Word


Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. 

        Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you carry her inheritance, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.

1 Peter 3:1-6 





I remember reading this passage earlier in the spring in my bible study. I remember thinking wow, that is incredible: the picture of what a godly women encompasses. The concept of not fearing anything that is frightening, meaning trusting the Lord completely. 

But I don`t remember thinking it was attainable or even near realistic for me to hope in. I felt so far away from being able to grasp the concept beneath those words and the application it would require to produce fruit. 

When I read these verses again, my spirit reacted different. The lies and the fears ceased and for a moment the Lord gave me incredible encouragement that I could actually hope for this. That I could really grasp and apply it. Through His gentle rebuking and constant-overflowing grace He has given me hope to believe in redemption. To believe my heart can leave the place it was once in and grow into something new.

This means leaving behind the hurt and heartache I struggle daily to cling to. This means to quit blaming everyone else and myself for what has happened or even may happen. This means overcoming the constant voices telling me I will never measure up, never be strong enough, never be good enough. 

It means laying these worries, burdens, and fears at the foot of the cross and submitting to the process of growth the Lord has laid out before me.

To choose every day to live, in my brokenness, under blessing and not under curse.

What a beautiful promise that by submitting to the process of growth even I, this undeserving sinner, can rest in forgiveness and grace. That I could be a woman who lives with fears quenched and lies quieted. A woman who cares more about the beauty of her heart than of what she looks like all the time, what others think she looks like. 

I am privileged to submit to the process of growth, and through it I am blessed.

So this are my week 1 verse(s) for the summer of 2012.
                                                                    
                                                                   1 Peter 3:1-6 

Comments

Popular Posts