First Love

                 Recently this song has been playing almost daily on the radio and my church has been playing it during worship the last few sundays. When I first sang it I didn't pay as much attention to the words. But hearing it so often I started listening to the words instead of the music and I heard the beauty in its truth.



                        It is the beauty of Christ's covenant love towards me and his promise to clothe me in white, bring beauty from ashes, and remain faithful as he cleanses me from my guilt and shame. Is is the story of Hosea and Gomer in my own life. Right now the sins and the mistakes and the ways I failed just today to praise him are running through my mind. Yet he loves me, he forgives me, he longs to bring me back to him. This is a reason for praise. This is a reason for praise to be eternal. 

Your love is devoted like a ring of solid gold

Like a vow that is tested like a covenant of old

Your love is enduring through the winter rain
And beyond the horizon with mercy for today



Faithful You have been and faithful You will be
You pledge Yourself to me and it's why I sing



Your praise will ever be on my lips, ever be on my lips


Now You're making me like You
Clothing me in white
Bringing beauty from ashes
For You will have Your bride



Free of all her guilt and rid of all her shame
And known by her true name and it's why I sing



Your praise will ever be on my lips, ever be on my lips



                When I think of all he has given me: my family, my fiance, my job, my friends, my dog, my horse, my car, my house, my clothes, my tomatoes...all of the small things that bring me joy. His love has allowed so many blessings, so much comfort in my life. Somedays I know I have taken it all for granted and that I haven't given him the praise he is due, most days. He is my first love. The one who captured my heart and who I find myself being captivated by all over again.





Comments

Popular Posts