Back in the Saddle



No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle.  
~Winston Churchill


A man on a horse is spiritually as well as physically bigger than a man on foot.  
~John Steinbeck




         There is something about being in the presence of a horse that allows me to feel the presence of God. Horses to me are the most beautiful and magnificent animal created. Ever since I was a very little girl, I think about 4 years old, I have loved being with and atop horses. My grandaddy taught me to ride and to love horses and that is another reason why it has stayed with me, it brings so many incredible memories of days with him and Granny on the farm. 

         After high school and moving to Virginia I largely stopped riding because I didn`t have the barn connection in the area and I didn`t try very hard to find one. Recently I came across a new horse rescue barn that opened nearby and I have been wanting now, for about 8 months, to get our there and make connections. I finally got out there about two weeks ago and have found out how amazing the rescue mission is and their goals and all the opportunity that I have to serve and be around horses! And I have since decided to start leasing an amazing horse named Danzig. No I did not choose him because of his German name! Everyone at the barn calls him Danny boy but that`s probably because they don`t what to do with his name. I want to think he was named after Günter Grass` Danzig Trilogy, a popular book trilogy in Germany. But I don`t actually know. Anyways Danzig is full of energy and loves to run-my kind of horse. I will have fun working with him and helping him learn to respond better to the bit. And just pampering him and spending time with him- he is a sweetheart. 


             There we are after our first ride. I can already literally feel the spiritual difference after just riding a few times. Like the above quote from Steinbeck there is something about being atop a horse that brings me closer to God. I am overjoyed that he has made a way for horses to be back in my life and I am excited to use of my greatest loves to connect deeper with him and with new people. I am thankful for horses and how their beauty and magnificence brings me to Christ and I am thankful for how Christ has provided me this opportunity to glorify him in riding again.

Comments

Popular Posts