"You are freed from your disability.”


Last weekend I was blessed beyond words to watch my precious sister, friend, and roommate get baptized. A year ago, on October 28th, she surrendered her life to Jesus Christ. Since then myself and many others have been blessed to walk alongside her in faith and watch in awe as she has given up her old life and walked into new life with Jesus Christ as her Lord and her Savior.
When I think about Leah and the transformation Christ has done in her life my favorite scripture is Luke 13:10-13
“Now Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath. And there was a woman who had had a disabling spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not fully straighten herself. When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said to her, “Woman, you are freed from your disability.” And he laid his hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and she glorified God.”
Leah would argue her healing hasn’t happened immediately, but to me it has. Yea there are things she will struggle with and work through as a process with the Lord, but so many things about her have already changed, and have brought glory to God! In only 1 year. I watched tears stream down her face as she has realized how deeply and unfathomably the Lord loves her, and desires her to know him. I have watched her give up her pride and her selfish ambition for the sake of God’s glory. The Lord has set her free in so many ways, and here are just a few of my favorites:
§ God has given her an earnest desire for Truth, truth that transforms, and not just facts.
§ When I met her she hardly spoke to me, or allowed me to see her true heart in any way. Now she is always telling me about her day, even the junk. And beyond that she serves me more than anyone I know, honestly. Buying me meals, helping me with homework, donating money to my mission trip, letting me drive her car, calling me, and so many other acts of love.
§ When I met her she also seemed very anti many things “girly.” She thought dressing up, make-up, etc was all so meaningless. And she was right. But today God has taught her how to be comfortable in who she is as a woman, realizing her beauty is within and not what’s on the outside. But expressing it outwardly isn’t a bad thing when it glorified God. For example, in March she got her ears pierced, for the first time ever! What?! And last weekend, she attended her first dance, other than her high school prom, which was a bad experience, and she didn’t just attend, she danced! She laughed! She smiled! She was able to let her security in Christ comfort her!
§ Her passion for architecture went from a focus on environmentalism (still important) to that of providing for poor and underprivileged people worldwide through homes and schools-talk about change, in one year!
§ Her attitude towards and relationships with her family have deepened on so many levels through Christ’s love for them being understood in her life. (They aren’t believers, but by God’s grace they came see her baptism in Blacksburg, and have continuously asked questions and been skeptical to understand her faith!!)
§ Instead of clinging past hurts and insecurities with her old friends, she dived head first into them, trusting Christ to change them. Apart from just telling them about her relationship with Christ, they have continued to ask questions and God has continued to use Leah as she obeys his leading.
§ She has become active in InterVarsity, her architecture bible study on Monday nights, and our local church.
I could go on and on about the ways the Lord has completely freed this once captive and disabled life. I have watched it with my own two eyes. And I have loved every minute.
Lord Jesus may you continue to sanctify and bring each of your children to completion. Go before us and direct us towards your leadership. Make us homesick for your love and mercy, to know your heart more everyday. May that be Leah’s passion and aim every day. And may that be all ours as well. May we know that we have died and we are made new by the washing of your blood!






Let us..."not be anxious about anything,
but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let our requests be made known to you. And your peace, which surpasses all understanding,will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7





Comments

Popular Posts