Light of the World


Downtown Blacksburg Christmas


            Although the plethora of Christmas lights can sometimes be overwhelming and perhaps even a turn-off to the Christmas spirit, there is something about Christmas lights that brighten my soul. How interesting that Christ called himself the Light of the World and he also calls his children the light of the world.





            This year the Christmas lights stood out in a very "bright" way each late night as I was walking my dog through town. What a difference it was from holding a flashlight and barely seeing 2 feet in front of us to seeing nearly the entire street alight with Christmas lights and even the silhouette of the mountains to our right and the town ahead. 

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” -John 8:12

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. -Matthew 5:14-16

These are two beautiful promises. We don`t have to walk in darkness. The physical comfort I feel walking my dog at night with all the Christmas lights is a very evident difference from the dark and lonely feeling during the cold, dark nights when the road is only lit by my small flashlight. There are days when my light as a believer is just a small flashlight into the dark world around me and other days when I feel that we are indeed a city on a hill that cannot be hidden and the darkness cannot overwhelm our light.

I pray this Christmas season and I am far away from family Christ will continue to prepare my heart in reminder of the Light who entered the world on Christmas as a baby in a manger. What a glorious mystery it is.

Comments

Popular Posts